Thursday, July 28, 2011

A New "Tasty" Tradition

There are some simple pleasures of living in Mexico...and 'tacos al pastor' is one of them! In fact, it has become our new Wednesday night tradition.

We eat on a entirely different meal schedule here. I'm not even sure it's entirely Mexican time, but it's just how our meals have evolved while living here. We eat breakfast between 8-10 am, lunch between 1-3 pm, and supper usually between 7-9 pm. So with this schedule, Wed. night church kind of comes in the middle of our supper time. But, we found a great solution! Enter, 'tacos al pastor!'

- Yum! Just add some onion, cilantro, pineapple bits, and salsa. -

After dropping people off from church, we just swing by our favorite taco stand, order some 'tacos al pastor' to go and then head home. For less than $10, our whole family can eat some of the best food ever created...and the best part, I don't have to prepare a thing for it!

I have tried making them once myself, with okay results. I will definitely keep trying different recipes until I find one that works for me. Obviously, most of us don't own a spit/rotisserie to give the authentic taste, but below I listed two different sites that give some background on the dish itself, and then includes a recipe if you would like to try this deliciousness at home!



Let me know if you try them, and if you can find the dried chiles in your local stores. Oh, and I would definitely recommend the longer marinating time.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Our son-in-law has been in Mexico on a business trip this week...& I think perhaps has eaten one taco too many! Your Wed. evening snack looks delicious & we may have to try them.

Michelle Durkee said...

Ok. Some things are not even fair. This is one of them. Delicious!!! My favorite:)