Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Life in the Mason Household

Whew...we made it through VBS! (...and I'm still getting those pictures ready to put on here!) I made two cakes as part of the snack for Sunday. I'm obviously not a professional, but enjoy practicing all the same. Since I didn't have much time, I didn't use any colored icing. Just white on white.

I've always wanted to try this style. It is called 'Cornelli Lace." It is a free-hand style in which the strings are never to cross or touch.


This is the other one I did. I used a basketweave in the center. I've always liked doing this style.


Now that VBS is over, we have a whole week to prepare for Michael's sister, Michelle, and her friend, Kay who are coming to visit us. We are very exicited, but need to do a few things to make our house "ready"! Today we did a lot of odd jobs...and as always in our household, some were more exciting than others! We still needed to hang the lights in the bedrooms and in the living room. Fine, Michael got the kids' room done by standing on their dresser. Next, was our room. Since we don't have a dresser yet, we drug the kids' dresser over to use. Well, our ceiling is a little higher than the kids, so we put a chair on top of the dresser, and that worked just fine. Now it was time to do the living room. We really didn't know what to do here. The top of the ceiling is at least 14 ft. then there's a dome in the center which adds about 3 more feet. Once again, we wouldn't dare ask someone for a ladder, so we had to figure something else out. Michael stood on a chair on the table and used the broom handle and the mop handle taped together to hook the chain to the top. And...it worked!

This is a bad picture of Michael, but maybe you can see what we were trying to do.


The finished product.


Now that job is done. Unfortunately, we still have some more things on our 'To Do' list. ...hanging more pictures on the wall...installing some bathroom lights and mirror...painting a post that Kyle wrote on...changing the oil in the truck...cleaning the truck...finish sewing the curtain in our room...go look for some furniture to add to our one lonely recliner...and a few other odds and ends! Maybe I'll share a few pictures tomorrow of some finished rooms.

6 comments:

Kara Plank said...

Wow. The chair on the dresser trick sounded scarey! Anyway, I like the light and your pretty cakes! Good luck on getting your to-do list done on time. ;)

Beth Stetler said...

Your cakes are beautiful! The light-hanging experience sounds interesting. :-)

Allana Martian said...

The cakes look very pretty! Very delicate looking!

Strings said...

I love it when people can make cakes that pretty and still call it 'practicing' :-)

Doug and Kim Hoffman said...

Beautiful cakes! I'm glad Michelle & Kay are coming to visit. I know you'll all enjoy that!

Anonymous said...

The cakes were beautiful, Crystal...they tasted good too! Hope I get to run into you sometime soon in the future!