Saturday, May 3, 2008

Of All The Stupid Things We've Done!

Now, if you're from PA, or have family there, you must realize that us folks can sometimes be stubborn. (To a fault sometimes!) Along with this trait, comes a thought that we can do everything ourselves and therefore do not need to ask for help! Does anyone else agree?

Ok. So we got this new washer. There is a hook-up outside in our "service area". (A walled, but open roof place where you can hang up laundry, keep your cleaning stuff, etc...) There is a small door off the kitchen to get there...not wide enough for a washer to fit through. Before we moved in, we were told that Juan, the groundskeeper, could get some men together and they would lower it through the roof. So, the other day, I asked Michael if he could find Juan and see when he could get some men together to come get my washer and move it. He searched briefly, found no one, then came to me with this GRAND idea!!! "I think you and I can move the washer, it's not that heavy." For once, I wasn't quite sure we could accomplish the task. You understand, we had to get it ON the roof first, then maneuver it around the domed roofs to the back side, and then lower it into the service area. Like I said, of all the stupid things... We backed the truck up to the front porch and hoisted the washer on top of the truck. We climbed up and put the washer on the porch overhang and then finally onto the roof. Since we couldn't just carry the thing over the domed roof, we slid it along the edge...I though for sure it was going to tumble off. We managed to get it to where we needed it. The plan was for Michael to tie a rope around the box and lower it while I was below and was supposed to support it and guide it. This was the one part I wasn't so sure about. I had visions of me, lying on the ground, with the washer on top of me. You understand, I was standing on top of a sink on my tip-toes just to reach it. Thankfully, just when we were going to start the washer descent, Juan came around the corner and asked if we needed help. Did we ever! He came over to where I was, and helped to grab it on its way down.


So now, the washer is in place and is working beautifully.

And if you're eyebrows are still raised to the top of your head, please just excuse our stupidity and blame it on...the need for a good blog story!?!?!?!?!


p.s. Please don't remind me...we have to move it back out of there when we move in a year...

10 comments:

Kara Plank said...

At least it is only a "what if" story! I still had to laugh!

sankey family said...

I'd say the story shows just how badly a mama with 2 boys needs her washing machine! Sounds like something we would have tried, too. Glad you got help - and just in time! Enjoy that washing machine.

Eric said...

You guys are hilarious!! If anything you provide good entertainment for your fellow missionaries reading your blogs. haha. If you guys are going to keep doing crazy stuff please don't mention that you are from Pa!!! Actually we know how you feel. Way to go.

Beth Stetler said...

Your last several posts have made me REALLY excited to make our big move in a couple weeks! ;-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Strings said...

its a bird, its a plane, no its....a washing machine??

Noah and Heather said...

I love the story! Next time you try something like that, can you set up a video camera first? That would be even better!
Actually, being stubborn can be very useful. (Just don't ask Noah's opinion on the matter!) I call it persistence and determination! =)

Anonymous said...

Crystal, can you imagine the look on Doña Beatriz' face if she could see Michael standing on that thin-looking ledge??!! Good thing we didn't give her your blog address for her to peruse while she is in Germany!


See you in a few days..

Angie D said...

That sounds like something we'd do!!! (Except Gene would definitely have dropped it on me...)

Anonymous said...

We did the same thing at our first house in Salamanca, but I Had Help! Sounds like the insurance claim and the load of bricks story. I was really expecting an apeal for a new washer. But if the worst had happened, we probably wouldn't have heard about it. Unless Crystal would have been under it. Lord, protect our missionaries! (from themselves):)

John D.