Monday, March 2, 2009

Can Anybody Help Me?

Well, by now, most of you know that I enjoy cooking, baking, etc...but, I have a problem! I can bake bread...but, homemade biscuits and me don't get along!! I have tried many, many different recipes to no avail. I currently have a recipe that tastes good, but is not the consistency I like. I'm looking for a biscuit that is light and fluffy (or just something that raises well - unlike mine)!!

So I had this thought. Ask my faithful few blog readers. Could you please leave me a comment with your favorite tried-n-true biscuit recipe? I'll not promise (just in case), but I will do my best to try and make each recipe I receive! I'll definitely let you know how they all turn out! Maybe I'll have to think up a prize or something...is that any inspiration?

I can't wait...my mixing bowl and wooden spoon are ready and waiting for those "delicioso" recipes to come piling into my comment section!! (Oh, sorry! Was that too dramatic???!!!)

3 comments:

sankey family said...

Well, Crystal, this is my tried and true recipe - never fails. (and I can goof up about any recipe!)

2 cups self-rising flour
2/3 c. Crisco
3/4 - 1 c. milk

Cut shortening into flour, mix in milk; pat out on floured surface, cut with biscuit cutter, place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 425 degrees until golden brown.

Promise you - this will work. :)

Unknown said...

Mine is almost the same as the one above - just a tad different. Here goes:
2 cups all-pupose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup milk
Directions same as above. I think they bake for about 12-15 mins. I have been using this for about 15 years.

Anonymous said...

Crystal,
My husband was born and raised in KY and his mother made wonderful biscuits. I have tried for 40 years to make a good biscuit and failed. A couple of years ago I found this recipe and it is a hit even with my Kentuckian.
Marcia Cross
LIGHT AS A CLOUD BISCUITS
2 cup flour
1 T sugar
4tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 shortening
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
Cut together flour, sugar, baking powder,salt and shortening until it is the consistency of cornmeal. Beat the egg and milk together and add to the flour mixture. After mixing, turn onto floured board and kned 20 times. Roll 3/4 inch thich, then cut. Bake 10 to 12 minutes at 425. Can stand a while before baking.

Hope it works for you too.